A virtual number is what is being referred to here is vital for some businesses, and many have lots of goodies attached.
0800, 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871.
These are called Non Geographic Numbers or NGNs.
There are also a range of virtual geographic numbers too.
So my take:
1) Female working from home – you need one to provide a level of protection is this day and age.
2) Any business based at home with family – you need one to create a degree of professionalism, to stop kids answering, when you really don’t want them to.
3) Any business based at home – provides an ability to turn off from your business. I know some have garden offices or separate rooms
4) Provide flexbility – when you move, the number comes with you.
5) Provides additional features – some smart numbers can be programmed to deliver calls to lots of different locations, like a virtual switchboard.
6) Some of these numbers can be included in callers minutes, so zero charge for them to call you – the exception is 0843 numbers. Rarely included.
7) In the case of 0844, 0845, 0870 it provides a filter and ensures a better quality of call coming through. Less time wasters.
0800 numbers will come back into fashion when all mobile operaters include them in their minutes again – due to happen soon accoridng to OFCOM.
8) Virtual geographic numbers are becoming more and more popular, but the range is running out. You may find your local one has run out.
9) If you are using a phone answering service, then a virtual number is a great way of measuring the cost effectiveness of the service, since you can see how many minutes are being used.
10) Disaster recovery – just like you all do backups on your computer, this is like a backup too. For example, if you are unable to work from your premises or home for whatever reason, the number will keep working, which is why mobile phones have become very popular.
I have two case studies, where I kept businesses running after a flood and a fire respectively.
However, having just a mobile phone number could make you look a one person band. Not good when pitching for larger contracts.
And yes, I have been supplying all the above for 17 years.
To find our more, please call 0844 826 1730 or drop an email to email@example.com
Also please visit www.go-fast.co.uk and click on For Business to see the range on offer.
Separately, if you are a regular caller to NGNs and find your costs on calls from your landline or mobile is high, please ask about our inclusive minutes deals for calls from a home landline, and equally the typical 50% reduction in call charges from a mobile, since many operators charge at 40p per minute as such a call is outside the bundle – our deal is 20p per minute.